Phrasal verbs are very common in English .
The OED describes it as “a verb and another element (typically an adverb or preposition) which together function as a single syntactical unit, as to break down, to make up, or to take out. “
As a piece of advice : try to avoid endless lists and focus your effort on a few of them , making sure you understand the meaning and learning how to use them properly. Let’s start with the next exercise.
Match the verbs with the definitions
|1. Find out||a) reject/say no to a request|
|2. Give up||b) wait|
|3. Hang out||c) omit/not include|
|4. Hold up||d) change|
|5. Join in||e) start a journey|
|6. Leave out of||f) transfer to another phone line|
|7. Turn down||g) arrive|
|8.Put through||h) discover information|
|9.Run out of||i) delay/ make someone wait|
|10. Set off||j) finish resources/ nothing left|
|11. Turn into||k) stop a habit|
|12. Turn up||l) participate/ become part of an activity|
Now complete the sentences below with the phrasal verbs above
- Fifteen hundred people _________ the Bristol half marathon.
- The traffic ________ them ________ so they were late for work.
- The car stopped because they _________________ petrol.
- ___________ ! Listen to me and be more patient.
- You can go to a library to _______________ information.
- The secretary _______ him _______ to the manager.
- They ___________ early so they would get to London before tea.
- Their hopes __________ a nightmare when they failed their exam.
- She _____________ drinking alcohol so she could sleep better.
- He _____________ late for work because he overslept.
- He had an interview for the job but they ________ him ________.
- He forgot the eggs because he ______ them _____ his shopping list.
Result down below
Phrasal verbs Answer key
Match the verbs with the definitions 1h 2k 3b 4i 5 l 6c 7 a 8 f 9 j 10 e 11 d 12 g
- Fifteen hundred people joined in the Bristol half marathon.
- The traffic held them up so they were late for work.
- The car stopped because they had run out of petrol
- Hang on! Listen to me and be more patient
- You can go to a library to find out information.
- The secretary put him through to the manager.
- They set off early so they would get to London before tea.
- Their hopes turned into a nightmare when they failed their exam.
- She gave up drinking alcohol so she could sleep better.
- He turned up late for work because he overslept
- He had an interview for the job but they turned him down.
- He forgot the eggs because he left them out of his shopping list.
If you want more Phrasal Verb exercises
Learn your English Level
Look at what our students think about us
Contact us now :
07906 611 964