Multi-word Verbs. Choose the correct option to go
with the clue
Example – Come up with/come up against → Which one is about facing a challenge/obstacle? ( come up against )
- Catch up with/keep up with → In which one are you behind with work and need to do something about it?
- Cut down on/ get round to → Which one involves you needing time to get something done
- Face up to/get away with →Which one relates to having to accept and do something about a difficult situation?
- Look up to/ stand up for →Which one is about supporting somebody or a principle?
- Put up with/ come up with → Which one relates to finding a solution?
- Stand up for/put up with → Which one means tolerating a difficult situation?
- Look up to/catch up with → In which one does the person feel respect for another?
- Cut down on/face up to → Which one may involve smoking less cigarettes?
- Get away with/get round to → Which one refers to someone escaping punishment?
- Come up against/keep up with → Which one involves maintaining a target level?
Now complete the text below with the correct option:
Business is business
Working in business can be intense. You may 1____ difficult situations and if you don’t 2_____ these challenges, things may go downhill fast for your company. One thing you can do is 3___ digital marketing because if you fall behind, it will be difficult to 4___ the competition again as changes happen so fast and you won’t 5___ losing customers in the long term. Yes, you may need to 6____ the changing regulations of Google or Facebook, but it is worth it so make sure you find time and 7____ updating your knowledge. So, 8____ those trips to the kitchen or going outside for a fag, even if you argue that this is the best time for 9___ good ideas.
Result down below
First Exercise: 1.Catch up with, 2.Get round to, 3.Face up to , 4. Stand up for , 5. Come up with , 6.Put up with , 7.Look up to, 8.Cut down on, 9.Get away with, 10.keep up with
Second Exercise: 1. Come up against , 2. Face up to , 3.Keep up with, 4.Catch up with , 5. Get away with, 6. Put up with , 7. Get round to, 8.Cut down on, 9.Coming up with
Learn your English Level
Look at what our students think about us
Contact us now :
07906 611 964